The Other Side

Ah, the other side. The other side of the lake, the other side of a door, the other side of the tracks, the other side of the mountain, the other side of the world, the other side of a certain age. The view is pretty nice over here!

Friday, November 14, 2003

A different kind of diversity needed? This was in my Newsweek, and I see it is in the online version as well.

"Thirty years of affirmative action have changed the complexion of mostly white universities; now about 13 percent of all undergraduates are black or Latino. But most come from middle- and upper-middle-class families. Poor kids of all ethnicities remain scarce. A recent study by the Century —Foundation found that at the nation’s 146 most competitive schools, 74 percent of students came from upper- middle-class and wealthy families, while only about 5 percent came from families with an annual income of roughly $35,000 or less."
Posted by Shirl at 12:52 PM
Newer Post Older Post Home

Blog Archive

  • ►  1990 (2)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  December (1)
  • ►  2002 (571)
    • ►  May (38)
    • ►  June (64)
    • ►  July (117)
    • ►  August (54)
    • ►  September (74)
    • ►  October (73)
    • ►  November (73)
    • ►  December (78)
  • ▼  2003 (950)
    • ►  January (91)
    • ►  February (77)
    • ►  March (100)
    • ►  April (70)
    • ►  May (79)
    • ►  June (76)
    • ►  July (78)
    • ►  August (51)
    • ►  September (85)
    • ►  October (77)
    • ▼  November (81)
      • Just about a perfect Halloween night. I live in a...
      • And now it's time to prepare to head to Spartan St...
      • **whisper, arck, whisper** Voice is slightly gone....
      • Unconscious Mutterings I say ... and you think .....
      • Mr. Frog's Omelet Recipe. Found at Sugar-n-Spicy.
      • Some places to visit culled from today's newspaper...
      • Uhoh. It's a rainy day AND a Monday.
      • SUNSHINE
      • Monday Madness, it is. . . 1. What is your most ...
      • NaNoWriMo Word Count: 5103 words. I'm about 1500...
      • David Letterman's son. Somehow I find that very t...
      • Lynn's developing a postcard collection. Check it...
      • Waiting for Mayoral Results. In January our elect...
      • Maybe there's hope. Swiped from Onyx. 31.25 %My ...
      • Snagged it at Bryn's: You are the Christmas Light...
      • Well darn. Got home, made a little supper, put up...
      • Michelle had it and I 'tole it. "Some people tap ...
      • Survivors Ready? Any thoughts on the returnees or...
      • Eclipse of the Moon coming Saturday night. Can be...
      • Right Brain or Left Brain?
      • Santa arrived today. And guess what? I actually ...
      • you are the "you suck, and that's sad"happy bunny....
      • Uhoh Laura. That football game noise that you're...
      • Oh yes, Roscoe, we would like to hear about the es...
      • Lynn's Saturday Snaps is back. This week . . . re...
      • Bryn's a super coach for NaNo. She left this in ...
      • Stomach problems. That's my point of weakness. I...
      • Sweet Aspirations now has comments. This is a goo...
      • The Eclipse is underway. I'm in eating some soup,...
      • Time for Unconscious Mutterings. I say ... and yo...
      • Lovely explanation, Roscoe , I stand corrected. ...
      • NaNoWriMo update. Well, I'm behind. I'm at 8000 ...
      • Perfect quiz for NaNoWriMo: (swiped at bryn's) F...
      • Monday Madness: 1. How many 'meals a day' do you ...
      • The Dewey Color System says: You're a Designer Yo...
      • Looking for more books to read? Check out this list.
      • Fell down on the NaNo word count yesterday. After...
      • Golly Gee!! You are NORMAN ROCKWELL. You are a pai...
      • Survivors Ready? This week has flown! Time to pi...
      • THIS
      • Cosmo's Kama Sutra Match and Moan. *evil grin*
      • Jimmy Carter (yes, the 39th President of the Unite...
      • How exciting! The Circulating Journal is headed t...
      • I could get used to Fridays off. Nothing like a c...
      • A different kind of diversity needed? This was in...
      • Good Saturday morning! Just to get the juices goi...
      • Master and Commander. One of the lovely things ab...
      • from Bryn.
      • Yeouch! 56 - 14, and the score isn't in favor of M...
      • Some Unconscious Mutterings: I say ... and you th...
      • *sigh* Sometimes I wish I hadn't googled something...
      • Monday Madness: (very appropriate for this time of...
      • Your soul is bound to the White Rose: ThePure. "I...
      • NaNoWriMo update. NaNoWriMo is the project of the...
      • I don't think we'll be able to see the Leonids her...
      • oh yay! Michelle at Mandarin is trans-continental...
      • Survivors Ready? Time to pick your bootee.
      • The word is out on the grapevine: Michelle at Man...
      • . . .To Meg
      • Saw it at Joni's first. You are Phlegmatic. You ...
      • It's Christmas Time In the City Last night was t...
      • Michigan State University vs Penn State. The last...
      • As always, the Sunday Unconscious Mutterings: I s...
      • GREAT WEEKEND The weekend just keeps getting bett...
      • Let's kick off the week with a little Monday Madne...
      • That's Directly Under the Tree! As I was saying e...
      • Survivors Ready? Ack! It's Wednesday night this ...
      • from Cindy's: You are naturally born with a gift,...
      • Charity Tuesday. Yesterday was our Charity Tuesda...
      • I'M THANKFUL FOR. . .
      • audio post powered by audblog
      • oh gosh! If you're on blogger, go do the free tri...
      • HAPPY THANKSGIVING
      • Ack! Just called over to Mom's and she says "I'm ...
      • Black Friday Report from Michigan. Mmmm. That wa...
      • Turkey Day +2 Now I remember why Monopoly isn't m...
      • As always, Sunday brings Unconscious Mutterings I...
      • Oho! A new game here, lifted from Onyx! I got "n...
      • All righty now, the chase is on. Will she or won'...
      • The answer is:
    • ►  December (85)
  • ►  2004 (929)
    • ►  January (76)
    • ►  February (60)
    • ►  March (80)
    • ►  April (68)
    • ►  May (78)
    • ►  June (80)
    • ►  July (88)
    • ►  August (97)
    • ►  September (79)
    • ►  October (83)
    • ►  November (73)
    • ►  December (67)
  • ►  2005 (790)
    • ►  January (70)
    • ►  February (61)
    • ►  March (73)
    • ►  April (64)
    • ►  May (63)
    • ►  June (64)
    • ►  July (75)
    • ►  August (60)
    • ►  September (68)
    • ►  October (62)
    • ►  November (66)
    • ►  December (64)
  • ►  2006 (620)
    • ►  January (67)
    • ►  February (67)
    • ►  March (53)
    • ►  April (62)
    • ►  May (34)
    • ►  June (52)
    • ►  July (48)
    • ►  August (37)
    • ►  September (42)
    • ►  October (66)
    • ►  November (41)
    • ►  December (51)
  • ►  2007 (108)
    • ►  January (50)
    • ►  February (57)
    • ►  March (1)

About Me

My photo
Shirl
1.5.14. Time to redo the blog again. I have plans for you this year, little blog. Hope to see everyone a bit more!
View my complete profile
Simple theme. Powered by Blogger.